[rrd-users] Re: My perl script is has a fault ?

Peter Valdemar Mørch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Thu May 11 10:46:40 MEST 2006

Hi there,

Please bear in mind that this is not a perl support forum.

However, here is a little programming advice: When you have a problem
such as yours, try creating the smallest program that generates the
errors & warnings. I'm pretty sure that you can narrow this down to a
program of 5 lines or so that generates the same warnings.

Yes, it takes time. But it is time well spent. You'll probably learn a
lot along the way.

Start by making a copy of your original program and then remove all the
bits that don't contribute to the problem. Eventually you'll end up with
something very simple, and maybe you'll even be able to figure out the
solution to your problem all by yourself.

Hint: In perl, the Data::Dumper module can be very handy for looking at
variable values along the way:
use Data::Dumper;
print Dumper($myVariable, $myOtherVariable);

I for one am not going to try to understand 228 lines of code. Think:
"10 is max".

Happy hacking!

Peter

ICALLING icalling-at-gmail.com |Lists| wrote:
> Hello
> I am a beginer in the RRDTool and Perl world.I have a problem with my script
> for generating the graphs . The graph that i get is empy without values. Can
> you pls check my script? When i run the command " perl  pingstat.pl
> 10.10.0.1 "  i get :
> 10.10.0.1 : xmt/rcv/%loss = 10/10/0%, min/avg/max = 0.22/0.44/0.93
> N:0 N:0
> [Wed May 10 16:06:10 2006] conversion of '0 N' to float not complete: tail '
> N'
> [Wed May 10 16:06:10 2006] conversion of '0 N' to float not complete: tail '
> N'
> [Wed May 10 16:06:10 2006] conversion of '0 N' to float not complete: tail '
> N'
> [Wed May 10 16:06:10 2006] conversion of '0 N' to float not complete: tail '
> N'
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at q5.pl line 174.
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at q5.pl line 177.
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at q5.pl line 180.
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at q5.pl line 183.
>
> Thanks
>

> -- Attached file removed by Ecartis and put at URL below --
> -- Type: image/png
> -- Size: 25k (26341 bytes)
>

> -- Attached file removed by Ecartis and put at URL below --
> -- Type: text/plain
> -- Size: 6k (6755 bytes)
>

> --

Peter Valdemar Mørch