[rrd-users] DST beginner question

Christoph Schwabl christoph.schwabl at gmx.at
Tue Nov 7 17:06:43 MET 2006

Hi,

at first I am sorry for some very stupid question, but I am a beginner of using rrdtool and have tried a lot (ca. 20 hours) without success.

I have already studied the rrdtool create man page http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdcreate.en.html and some other documentation, but it do not work as I want.

What do I need?

I have a file where I can find my values (atm cells).
This are already *DELTA* values in atm cells, so I know
that COUNTER is the wrong DST.

I want to build a graph in bits/s.

Do I need DERIVE, GAUGE or ABSOLUTE for the DST.

I know: 1 atm cell = 53 byte = 424 bit.
So I sent to the rrd database (file) the value*424.
But I always get a graph width very high values which could not be correct (I have this problem when I use DERIVE, GAUGE or ABSOLUTE).
I know it is not correct because I can also check the throughput with mrtg from a other device.
Could it be, that the rrd tool can not calculate from the value*424 bit (ca. 900s value) to bit/s?

It is also important that I do not get always exact 15min (900s) values.
e.g. I get 905, 890, ... values.
But I have the exact time which I can sent to my rrd database (file).
Is this a problem when I update the database not exact with 900s updates?

thanks

best regards,
Christoph

PS: I have used the following rrdcommands with a perl script:

$rrdtool create $directory_file --start $unixtime_new --step $step_sec DS:input:ABSOLUTE:$step_sec:U:U DS:output:ABSOLUTE:$step_sec:U:URRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:8640

and for update

$rrdtool update $directory_file $unixtime:$value_in:$value_out