[rrd-users] Re: php bindings for rrdtool

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Nov 11 12:43:04 MET 2006

Rogério Schneider wrote:

>So, after the shel_exec, how you show the graph?

FWIW, I use a bash script as my CGI. The simple
way to do it is to have rrd-graph generate an
image in a file and return an image reference tag
- that way, as the script returns, there will be
a file that will automatically be downloaded by
the browser. rrd-graph has a nice facility where
you can tell it to skip generating the file if
it's already current - so if you reload a page,
graphs may well already be there and you can skip
the overhead of re-drawing them.

The script outputs the html for the page, rrd-graph generates the image files.