[rrd-users] Better many .rrd files vs. many DSs per file ?

Lancashire, Pete plancashire at ci.portland.or.us
Tue Nov 14 19:51:50 MET 2006

I know this has been discussed before, :( but cant seem to find
in an archive.

I will be doing some performance testing and will need to update
176 DS's at least every 10 seconds, maybe every 2 seconds at a
time.

The rrdtool executable will be on another machine interface will
be with rrdsrv.

I'm going to put my rrd files on a dedicated SCSI raid0 array with
6-10 spindles to help with writes, O/S will be Linux.

The DS are in 4 'groups'

  group      #DSs
  cpu total   20
  cpu         48
  disks       90
  network     18

If this all works for one server, I will want to do it for the
4 servers in my cluster so the number of DS could go over 700.

Suggestions ?

-pete