[rrd-users] RRDtool Performance and number of RRA's

Richard Burton richard at atomwide.com
Fri Nov 17 17:03:32 MET 2006

Hi all

I am running various tests to see what my maximum amount of updates per
second my hardware can cope with and this appears to be greatly affected
by the number of RRA's in a given RRD archive.

What appears to be happening is that increasing the number of RRA's from
2 to 6 has a dramatic effect on how many updates I can undertake per
second. For example I started with

"RRA:LAST:0.5:1:525600",
"RRA:MAX:0.5:1:525600",

and then moved to

"RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:129600",
"RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:10:38880",
"RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:30:52560",
"RRA:MAX:0.5:1:129600",
"RRA:MAX:0.5:10:38880",
"RRA:MAX:0.5:30:52560",

My update speed has fallen by around 60%. Is this what one would expect?

Kind Regards

Richard Burton