[rrd-users] another guy getting NaNs

Lincoln Rutledge lincolnr at oar.net
Wed Nov 29 15:17:11 MET 2006

Hi folks,
First time with rrdtool.  I'm just trying to store values in rrds, once an
hour.  I don't need any manipulation such as average &c.  I know that the
values get there, but the rrds look empty.

rrdtool create as.rrd -s 3600 RRA:AVERAGE:.99999:1:24 DS:octets:
GAUGE:4000:U:U

Do I want average there?  Do I want gauge?

rrdtool update as.rrd -t octets N:$octets

$octets is passed from a shell script.  Is there anything wrong with using Now
as the time?

This is all done hourly by cron.  Here I do a dump on all my rrds with a loop:
rrdtool dump $a | grep row | grep -v NaN | grep -v pdp

There is no output.

Thanks,
Lincoln