[rrd-users] rrdtool create question

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Oct 5 18:04:02 MEST 2006

    I've read, and I've read, and I'm about to go read again, but it's
still all pretty much greek to me.  I'm venturing into rrdtool for the
first time and am at the moment stuck.  As a start project, I decided to
chart a server's used space across its various partitions.  So, let's
assume I want to log the following partition usages:

    /, /home, and /var/log

    And I get the percentage used via SNMP's IODs
.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9.1.9.1 , .2, and .3 respectively.  The returned value
is an integer.

    How can I:
       a) create an rrd file that can contain all three of those values, and
       b) individually update each one.

    And I guess as a future exercise (perhaps for me), can that same rrd
file contain multiple data tables for multiple servers (so I can poll
other servers and store them in the same file.)  Can I ADD more DSs to
an rrd file at a later date, or can I only do that when I first create
the rrd file?

    Hopefully this is enough information to start with.  If not, feel
free to ask.

    --A