[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool create question

Daniel Tepas daniel at the-temple.de
Thu Oct 5 19:49:01 MEST 2006

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

> Yes, but that's where I'm stuck. All the examples I've seen are
> for creating a single DS with multiple RRAs. Can I create it with
> multiple DSs, each one containing multiple RRAs as well (probably 2
> RRAs per DS)?

F.ex.:
rrdtool create /usr/local/rrdtool/system.rrd DS:load:GAUGE:600:U:U
DS:hda2:GAUGE:600:U:U DS:hdb3:GAUGE:600:U:U DS:mem:GAUGE:600:U:U
DS:swap:GAUGE:600:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797

> Actually, that's what I meant originally. Able to update all the
> DSs at the same time (and not run rrdtool/rrdupdate for each DS
> that needs updating.)

I tried the same, but it didn't work, ended up in inserting all values
for one time with one rrdtool update command.

> Just a curiosity question: why go through that instead of pulling
> it from SNMP? (with the only difference being that SNMP will take
> the raw values of the drive while df takes the 5% super-user space
> into account)

1st: didn't knew ;-)
2nd: no snmpd running, maybe.
3rd: 5% for root is not fixed. F.ex. on my video partition i have 0%
for root reserved...

> Same here... One can get most, if not all of those values from
> SNMP. Is there a particular reason not to trust SNMP?

One daemon less running is one possible entrance for unliked guests
less. If you use this on your home network it dosen't matter...

> That's what I needed to know in terms of updating. Great. Now i
> need to figure out how to create the rrd file.

Hope to be helpful :-)

> I can certainly start an rrd file for say one server, containing
> all the data I want to monitor. However, if in the future I want
> to monitor another item, say I added another partition that needs
> monitoring, I'd prefer if it's all within the same rrd, and not end
> up with multiple rrd files for the same server. Does that make
> sense?

It depends. It uses some hand work to add another DS, but if this
dosen't happen twice a week you may do like this. Someone got the perl
script by hand? If not, I will take a look tomorrow. Have to go to bed
now ;-)