[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool create question

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Oct 5 22:10:22 MEST 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 02:42:31PM -0400, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

> Aren't the subtlties of the English language wonderful?  ;)

yes

> Anyway, what I think you are looking to have multiple
> DSs in each RRD.  An RRA stores data in different formats for
> the same DS.  Then you can update each DS individually,
> and RRDTool takes care of updating the RRAs.

One database can have multiple RRAs.  Each RRA stores data for
all DSes.

Each RRA should store data at a different time interval, or with
different properties (i.e. AVERAGE, MAX, MIN ...)

One database with multiple DSes: you need to update all the
values at the same time:

rrdtool update database.rrd timestamp:value1:value2:value3

If he wants to update each DS separately, he needs multiple databases:

rrdtool update database1.rrd timestamp:value1
rrdtool update database2.rrd timestamp:value2
rrdtool update database3.rrd timestamp:value3

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/