[rrd-users] Re: graphing a time

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Oct 24 03:14:39 MEST 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 10:37:45AM +1000, Darryl Lewis wrote:

> Now, that's all I can think of for measuring how often Google hits my pages. I was hoping that some people could suggest other ideas for graphing this sort of occurrence.

If you want to know how often google hits your pages per
<time interval of your choice> then RRDtool is the right
tool for you.

And that's simple.  Every <possibly other time interval>
you come up with a number of queries during that interval.

Your application has to make sure it knows when it was
called last, forget every log entry upto that time, count
the number of interesting log entries and output it.

Then you give the number to RRDtool, using ABSOLUTE. This
produces a rate, pages per second.  ABSOLUTE is a counter
that is reset every time it is read.  This is what your
program should do.  But ABSOLUTE does take the time into
account.  This is what RRDtool should process.

Update as often as you want.  For instance, every hour. Most
rates will be zero, so what.  That is useful information.

In the database you have pages per second.  Multiply this
(using CDEF) by an amount to get pages per hour, or pages
per week, or pages per minute.

Just remember that everything is a rate.  If you are using
GAUGE, you are inputting a rate yourself.  If you are using
any other Data Source type, you ask rrdtool to process its
input to generate a rate.

And do make sure you understand normalization and consolidation.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/