[rrd-users] Manipulating and Graphing Data

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 00:45:44 MET 2006

Hi all...I am trying to do something somewhat simple and could use some
assistance.

I am currently polling a qos drop queue and it returns the correct value.
The values are getting stored correct and everything looks great.
/usr/bin/rrdtool create \
/usr/share/cacti/site/rra/xyzrouter_qosdropclass_176.rrd \
--step 300  \
DS:qosdropclass:GAUGE:600:0:100000000 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797 \
RRA:MIN:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:MIN:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:MIN:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:MIN:0.5:288:797 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797 \
RRA:LAST:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:LAST:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:LAST:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:LAST:0.5:288:797 \I am currently graphing this but I print the actual
value and the graph keeps going up (of course, since my ds type is
GUAGE)./usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
--imgformat=PNG \
--start=-86400 \
--end=-300 \
--title="Se5/0/1:0 class class-default - drops" \
--rigid \
--base=1000 \
--height=120 \
--width=500 \
--alt-autoscale-max \
--lower-limit=0 \
--vertical-label="packets" \
--slope-mode \
DEF:a="/usr/share/cacti/site/rra/xyzrouter_qosdropclass_176.rrd
":qosdropclass:AVERAGE \
AREA:a#FF0000:"Drops"  \
GPRINT:a:LAST:"Current\:%8.2lf%s"  \
GPRINT:a:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf%s"  \
GPRINT:a:MAX:"Max\:%8.2lf%s" What I would like to graph as "current" is the
(current value - the previous value) in the RRA. This will give me the
amount of change since the last interval.  I assumed I could do this via a
CDEF but I am not sure how to get the previous value to do the subtraction.

Any assistance/pointers are appreciated.

Thanks!

tv