[rrd-users] Re: Manipulating and Graphing Data

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 05:04:25 MET 2006

Hi...thanks for the info.  I did try DERIVE but I get very inaccurate results.

For example:
I had about 400 drops in the queue that were generated.  The graphs and data were showing anywhere from 8-16 drops.  I again verified the actual data with a manual snmpwalk.

When I have DS type set to GAUGE, the data is very accurate (probably <5% off) but I am unable to get the difference between the current value and the previous.  The graph, obviously, keeps expanding on the y-axis.

So, with DERIVE, I am assuming rrdtool takes the value (400) and divides it by the update rate specified when creating the rrd (300 seconds).

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Also, maybe I misunderstood the documentation but this is what I have previously read: "The original value you have supplied is stored as well and is also taken into account when interpolating the next log entry."  Is this not true?

Thanks!

tv