[rrd-users] Re: Manipulating and Graphing Data

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 17:42:15 MET 2006

> Closer, but it uses the values supplied AND THE TIME INTERVALS to
> work out the rate over each interval defined in your rrd. If your
> updates EXACTLY match the time intervals then the rate stored will
> match the value you put in, otherwise it will be adjusted.

Right, which is why when I use GAUGE for this specific application, the
value is preserved.  But, I would like to take the current and previous
gauge value and subtract them to get a new value.  Then, graph that new
value.  Once I figure out how to do that, I'm sure there will be some odd
issues such as counter flips.

The math that is performed on these values with other data types is not
useful to me.  It appears GAUGE would be the only one that would work.

> There is nothing to solve, other than putting the right stuff in.

I am putting the correct data in and have verified that it.  And, I still
haven't solved the goal I would like to accomplish...which is stated above.
I am hoping someone that has more knowledge than me with rrdtool has done
something like this before and can point me in the right direction.

> Time intervals all start with 0 at the unix beginning of time back in
> 1970, so if you take t as the current time in seconds, and i as the
> rrd interval, then the current period starts at t - (t % i), and the
> next starts at t-(t%i)+i and so on.

Yup...I'm familiar with epoch.  Thanks for that explanation!

Has anyone completed something like this before?  Any pointers would be
appreciated.

tv