[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool missed values <1.0

Thomas Peter thomas at braindumped.com
Fri Sep 1 14:09:40 MEST 2006

Alex van den Bogaerdt <alex <at> ergens.op.het.net> writes:
> Heartbeart is not a timestamp.  It is not a point in time.  It is an interval.
> This means most of your 'x'es are wrong.  You need a ruler and measure the
> distance between each 'y'.

alex! thank you for your patience!

for my usecase this means:
i only get updates on monday-friday from 6:00-19:00 with a distance of max.
10 hours (on one of these days)
but since i don't get any update for whole 3 days, i need a heartbeat of
3*24*60*60 = 259200s

what would the drawback be if i use a heartbeat of one week?
the shortest time between updates is given by the step-size. the longest by the
heartbeat?
so since my updates can hold off for 3 days i use a heartbeat of 3 days!?

thanx again, thomas