[rrd-users] Re: percentile calculations

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Sep 5 20:21:54 MEST 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 02:01:03PM -0400, Dan Cech wrote:

> However, when I'm displaying the graph for the current month, the
> PERCENT function is using all the unknown future values in the
> calculation

sure

>              causing it to be incorrect.

Why?

You seem to know about your "unknown" data.  That means it isn't
as unknown as the name suggests...

> As a very simplified example, say I'm 10 days into a month (with 20 days
> remaining) and the values so far look like this:
>
> 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
>
> The 90th percentile should be 9

according to what/who ?

> I have looked through the documentation and can't find any mechanism
> which would allow me to restrict the PERCENT function to a specific date
> range (to exclude values in the future), or exclude NaN values.

Why graph values in the future, you know this won't include useful data.

try changing unknown into some known value, like zero or a very large
negative number

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/