[rrd-users] Re: percentile calculations

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Sep 6 00:44:27 MEST 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 06:04:38PM -0400, Dan Cech wrote:

> I did manage to make this work for a single RRD, by using code like:
>
> DEF:rawin=$rrdfile.rrd:in:LAST:end=$now
> VDEF:raw95in=rawin,95,PERCENT
> CDEF:raw295in=myin,POP,raw95in,8,*
> VDEF:95in=raw295in,MAXIMUM

take one value out of range rawin, place it in raw95in
raw95in is not a range, it is a number.

create raw295in, a time series of data, rate 8 times raw95in.
Each entry is the same rate.

Take the maximum of raw295in (average, minimum or last should
also work, no?)

Wouldn't this ...

DEF:rawin=$rrdfile.rrd:in:LAST:end=$now
CDEF:bytes=rawin,8,*
VDEF:95in=bytes,95,PERCENT

... produce the same number?  Am I missing something?

> While this does appear to work, because it relies on access to the raw
> DEF it cannot be used with data that is aggregated across multiple rrds.

VDEF can also work on CDEF data.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/