[rrd-users] Re: rrdupdate not working properly?

Stefan Moser sm at open.ch
Wed Sep 6 16:15:13 MEST 2006

Hi Lejf,

ABSOLUTE, like DERIVED and COUNTER, are used for things that DO have a
relation to time. To make an example related to your memory graphs,
consider page swaps: The values for these are always in the context of
your polling frequency, e.g 'x page-outs in the last 300s'. Now you
COULD display these using a gauge and your graph would display the total
number of swaps per polling interval. However, from a sysadmin point of
view, it's much more interesting to know the rate, i.e. page-out/s.
Hence you'd use one of the counters ABSOLUTE, DERIVED AND COUNTER, which
of these depends on the type of counter you get your values from *.

ABSOLUTE is for counters that are reset with every read. The other two
are fundamentally the same: they are used for continous counters where
the value for a given period is current value - previous value. The
difference is in the way they handle counter overflows.

cheers
-stefan

*) In the interest of full disclosure: For the image, you can convert
between rates and  total values by graphing a CDEF that
multiplies/divides the DEF by the polling period, instead of graphing
the DEF directly. But it usually makes more sense to just choose the
right DS type when creating the RRD.