[rrd-users] Re: Multi threaded Perl scripts using RRDTool

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Sep 6 16:46:09 MEST 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 02:51:07PM +0100, Richard Burton wrote:

> I have read past posts on the problems people have been having with
> writing multi threaded Perl scripts with RRDTool.
>
> I am trying to write one which uses rrdupdate and rrdcreate via the perl
> bindings and the script crashes.
>
> Would it be true to say that there is not way at present I am going to
> get this working? Alternatively does anyone have any ideas as to what I
> can do short of rewriting the whole thing in C.

Try one of these:

1: some kind of internal locking.  Only one thread at a time may call
rrdtool (update, create, or whatever other sub program).

2: have one thread communicating with rrdtool.  Other threads communicate
with this single thread to get something done.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/