[rrd-users] Re: two sh scripts

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 8 12:20:35 MEST 2006

VladoPortos wrote:

>Scripts are here
>http://vladoportos.bancodata.eu/ram.txt  - show free ram
>http://vladoportos.bancodata.eu/test.txt - show temperatures
>
>in cron they are writted as:
>
>0-59/1 * * * *   root    /home/ram.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
>0-59/1 * * * *   root    /home/test.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
>
>all scripts, graphs,rrds are located in /home
>
>what it does can be seen here:
>
>http://86.110.225.209/ram.png
>http://86.110.225.209/test.png
>
>notice that holes....

Looking at one of the scripts, I see this :

if [ ! -s $DATABAZA ] ; then
rrdtool create --step 60 $DATABAZA \
DS:mem_used:GAUGE:60:0:1553384 \
DS:swap_used:GAUGE:60:0:506036 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:60
fi

If I read that correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the
heartbeat is 60 seconds, which means that if your update arrives at
61 seconds then you've missed a sample and it stores NaN.

Although you run the scripts at 1 minute intervals, they will not
actually submit results at EXACTLY 60 second intervals - in practice
updates are going to be 60s +/- a bit of variation.

I suggest using a longer heartbeat, probably 2 or 3 minutes.

Simon