[rrd-users] Re: adding holt-winters forecasting to existing databases

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Sep 9 18:54:41 MEST 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 02:27:39AM +1000, Darryl Lewis wrote:
> I think I followed it all, except for step 3. How do I feed the data into the new database?

With rrdtool fetch you get timestamps and rates out of your current
database.  Feed it to the new database as usual.  This is just a bit
of scripting.

You will loose a bit of precision here; fetch doesn't show every
significant digit.

The data is in a certain resolution, depending on which RRA it is
coming out of.  If you have RRAs with a different amount of time per
row (steps times step) then you should be careful to select the proper
RRA while fetching.  You can avoid using (for instance) an RRA with
step*steps==3600 if there also is one available where step*steps==300.

When doing this kind of stuff, you need to know how RRDtool works. If
you do not yet, make sure you are going to.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/