[rrd-users] Re: Memory consumption (Was: Stacked area's limit)

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sun Sep 24 19:58:17 MEST 2006

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 06:03:53PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:

> All the graphs are done as end=now and start=end-<24H|7D|31D|365D>
>
> I had assumed that all the graphs would use the right consolidation
> because the higher resolution ones will not cover the requested
> period. What I think you are saying is that if I kept the 5 minute
> samples for 8 days, then it would use the 5 minute samples, not the
> 1/2 hour consolidation so as to best fill the graph.

No. What I am saying is that sometimes "to best fill the graph" may
not be what you think it is.

If you specify something that is _not_ an exact multiple of 30 minutes,
then 'x+5' is closer than 'x+30'.  Therefore 'x+5' is a better match
to what you ask (not: to what you want) thus the 5-minute rra may be
chosen.

> Am I right in thinking it will never use two separate consolidations
> (eg the 2 hour one for the bulk of the months graph plus the latest 5
> minute samples to fill in the gap at the end) ?

Yes, that is correct.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/