[rrd-users] Re: Dump - restore fails

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Sep 25 15:53:46 MEST 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 03:14:21PM +0200, Erestor Elensar wrote:

> I'm moving my rrd files from Windows to a Linux machine, for this i have
> done on the Windows machine a  rrdtool dump and on the Linux machine a
> rrdtool restore.

So far no problem, this is how it should be done.  However, chances are
these machines are binary compatible in which case you can just copy
the rrd file over.

> If i do a rrdtool fetch xx.rrd AVERAGE to check i see on the Windows machine
> 1159177800:  -1.#IND000000e+000
> but on the Linix machine:
> 1159183800: nan
> this for all entries
>
> whats going wrong here, i can't affort to lose all of my historic data

All entries are -1.#IND000000e+000 ?  This means you have no historic
data.  Sure, when importing this database to your linux platform, data
won't magically appear.

I see no obvious reason for you to compare "1159177800:  -1.#IND000000e+000"
against "1159183800: nan".  These time stamps aren't the same, so what
are you trying to proove?

Don't post here, just look yourself: look at the resulting ascii file
after doing "rrdtool dump" on the windows box.  Is there any data not
equal to -1.#IND000000e+000, for instance something like 1.23456e002 ?

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/