[rrd-users] problems with rrd and check_traffic

Andreas Maus a.maus at science-computing.de
Wed Apr 4 16:38:19 CEST 2007

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 11:15:48AM -0300, Henrique Silveira Cadore wrote:
> Hi list.
>
>   I dont know if its the proper forum to expose my problem, if not im sorry.
>
>   I use a plugin for nagios called check_traffic.
>
>   This plugin generates rrd database for monitoring traffic. Looking at the script that generates the .rrd i found something like:
>
>   rrdtool create FILE --start TIME DS:input:COUNTER:600:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:240
>
>   The graphic generated shows me the average each 5 minutes. shouldnt it be every minute since im updating the database every minute?
>
>   Why --step is omited?
>   Im updating the database every minuto shouldnt 600 be 120?
>
>   Thank you for any help.
Hi.

I don't know why --step is omited, but if no value for --step is givven
it defaults to 300 seconds (see man rrdcreate). Also you should adjust
the 600sec. heartbeat interval and increase the number of rows in the
RRA from 240.

But if you want to know _why_ check_traffic uses 5min interval instead
1minute ... well you have to ask the author.

HTH,

Andreas.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Maus             science+computing ag
System Administration               Hagellocher Weg 73