[rrd-users] Questions about different RRA`s

Ryan Steele steele at agora-net.com
Thu Apr 5 16:08:27 CEST 2007

David,

Just my two cents - check out Cacti.  It comes with lots of pre-loaded
RRD/RRA definitions, among them being the process counts.  Of all the
frontends to RRDTool, I prefer Cacti over Munin, Cricket, MRTG, and the
like.  The documentation is a bit less than you'd like, but once you get
your head around it it's really a dream to work with.

Best,
Ryan Steele

David Schulz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since a while i am digging around the Net to become more clear about
> rrdtool, but i am not making much progress.
>
> My Goal is to graph the Number of Processes on my Server, for the
> last  hour, day, week, month and year. In the beginning i just made
> one big Archive, using
>
> Can someone show me how to best create one such .rrd with multiple
> RRA`s, explain to me the calculations you made to decide on the
> values for the RRA`s? I tried multiple combinations, one -
>
> rrdtool create process_count.rrd --step 60 DS:pc:GAUGE:120:0:U
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:525960, which is supposed to take one value every
> 60 seconds, for one year,
>
> but it appears it is better to split the different required times
> into different RRA`s. I have no idea how to calculate this though. My
> main Problem is to determine the exact Values for the individual
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:?:?. I have read that for example this
>
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:60 should be one hour (1*60*60= 3600 seconds), and
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:60:24 should be 24 hours, but how about a week or a
> month for example? Why RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:60:24, and not RRA:AVERAGE:
> 0.5:24:60, both should equal a week, right?
>

> I really need a push in the right direction here.
> Thanks a lot for any Explanation,
> David

Ryan Steele
Systems Administrator