[rrd-users] Questions about different RRA`s

Ryan Steele steele at agora-net.com
Fri Apr 6 17:00:21 CEST 2007

David Schulz wrote:
> Yes ive seen Cacti, its nice. The whole idea for me though is to
> actually learn how the rrd thing works, so i am not limited to a
> front-end.

A very good idea!  I took the same approach, mostly because I was
unaware of Cacti when I first starting playing around with RRDTool.  I
did find helpful, when I was a bit green on the whole thing, two
tutorials on Tobi Oetiker's site, which are located at
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/tut/rrdtutorial.en.html and
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/tut/rrd-beginners.en.html respectively.
But, going to the examples you referenced:

RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:60:24

...means you'd have 24 consolidated data points (CDP's), with each CDP
being the average of 60 300-second (5 minute) intervals.

RRA:AVERAGE: 0.5:24:60

...means you'd have 60 consolidated data points (CDP's), with each CDP
being the average of 24 300-second (5 minute) intervals.

While it's true that:

300 * 60 * 24 = 432000 seconds = 120 hours = 5 days
AND
300 * 24 * 60 = 432000 seconds = 120 hours = 5 days

The representation on the graph will be different, because in the first
example, each CDP is the average of 60 intervals, while the second
example has each CDP being the average of only 24 intervals.

Make sense?

Best Regards,
Ryan