[rrd-users] RRDs seems broken on OpenBSD

jim steele jsteele1997 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 23:34:22 CEST 2007

Hello,

I installed rrdtool 1.2.19 on my newly-installed OpenBSD 4.0 machine,
exactly according to the instructions provided. It compiles and
installs fine, and the rrdtool command line program works properly,
and produces this output:

RRDtool 1.2.19  Copyright 1997-2007 by Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch>
               Compiled Apr  5 2007 18:41:01

Usage: rrdtool [options] command command_options

Valid commands: create, update, updatev, graph, dump, restore,
                last, lastupdate, first, info, fetch, tune,
 resize, xport

RRDtool is distributed under the Terms of the GNU General
Public License Version 2. (www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html)

For more information read the RRD manpages

However, when I try to use RRDs in a perl script, I get this error:

/usr/bin/perl:/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.19/lib/librrd.so.2.9: undefined
symbol 'art_alloc'
lazy binding failed!
Segmentation fault

This is the code I am using in my perl script:
        ($cpuavg,$xsize,$ysize) = RRDs::graph(
                '/var/www/htdocs/test/test.png',
                '--start','-900',
                '--end','-300',
                "DEF:test=$rrd_root/$host/$host_cpu.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE",
                "DEF:test2=$rrd_root/$host/$host_cpu.rrd:ds1:AVERAGE",
                'PRINT:test:AVERAGE:%lf',
                'PRINT:test2:AVERAGE:%lf');

This exact code works fine with older versions of rrdtool, such as 1.0.49.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or how I can fix this?

I also tried installing rrdtool 1.2.19 on an OpenBSD 3.9 machine and
get the same results.

Thanks for your help.