[rrd-users] Ever thought of extending functionality to create a dial

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sun Aug 12 14:32:57 CEST 2007

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 08:50:59PM +1000, Rob Conway wrote:
> I have been using rrd for a year now showing trends of my data and it works great running on embedded linux (NSLU2).......To compliment the trends I was wondering if anybody had tried to create maybe the last or averaged data for a period and visualise it as a dial or gauge.  This would mean rrdtool not only providing trends however dials that can be used within web based dash boards....

try "rrdtool graph" in combination with PRINT (not: GPRINT) to
get a number (e.g. an average or using CDEF a percentage of total
possible traffic), and use this number as a width or height of
an image.

The image would be, for instance, 8 pixels heigh and 1 pixel wide,
but its width would be altered by the number you got. This way
you get a bar graph, showing for instance link utilization as a
percentage of the total link capacity.

The possibilities are endless.

The number could also be used as an input to another program which
is good at drawing pictures; no need for rrdtool to do this.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/