[rrd-users] rrdtool doesn't detect integer overflow

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Aug 22 07:28:23 CEST 2007

Today Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> In this case, the counter wrap mechanism gets it wrong. It
> isn't perfect and to the best of my knowledge it isn't
> configurable either.

You can effectively disable counter wrap handling by setting the
DS type to DERIVE and the minimum value to 0 ...

so whenever the counter becomes smaller than before, rrdtool will
disregard that measurement.

also in general it is a very good idea to set upper and lower
bounds for your DSes, since this will also catch 'non-sensible'
values.

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902