[rrd-users] Problem with different architectures

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Aug 23 14:16:46 CEST 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 01:24:24PM +0200, Fredrik Wänglund wrote:
> I have a setup where i run RRDTool on remote devices that measures and
> collects various data. The rrd-files are then rsync'ed regulary to a
> central server whith a web-interface for presentation.
> Now i am testing a new remote device, an ASUS WL-500gp with OpenWRT
> KAMIKAZE (7.06) and RRTTool 1.2.11-1.
> the problem is that I can't use the rrd-files on the central server
> because they '.. was created on other architecture'.
> I know I can dum the rrd's on the remote machine to XML and den restore
> them on the central machine, but the ASUS-device has limited CPU-power
> and I dont want to put any more load on it. Is there any way to convert
> the rrd's on the central machine?

Not that I am aware of right now (I could be missing something though).
What you perhaps could try is to save update commands to a file,
transfer to your central server and update there.  Obviously that would
require using timestamps, not "N", in the update commands.

An alternative would be to build a converter. That would require
some programming but I guess it wouldn't be too hard if using
rrdtool's current source as a starting point.

Maybe that would be a welcome addition to the 1.2 series:
command rrdtool import

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/