[rrd-users] VRULE for sunset, sunrise

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Aug 26 15:45:52 CEST 2007

(I've scanned the archive for the strings in the subject
line).

I'm collecting weather data and would like to plot the
sunrise and sunset time with a VRULE. It seems that VRULE
must be passed a number, rather than whatever is in a
DEF/CDEF variable. I can extract sunset/sunrise into shell
variables and plot them with VRULE, but I'd like to be able
to save the sunrise/sunset times into a rrd database and
recall them later.

Here's how I'm storing sunrise sunset (from the create.rrd
script)

$RRDTOOL create belhaven_weather-sunrise-sunset.rrd -s 300 \
.
.
DS:Sunrise:GAUGE:7200:0:86400 \
DS:Sunset:GAUGE:7200:0:86400 \

Here's my attempt at plotting sunset/sunsite with a VRULE

DAY=`date -d '00:00' +%s`

/$RRDTOOL graph /$DOCUMENTROOT/graphs/belhaven_weather-sunrise-sunset-index.gif
-z -i --no-minor -s -1d -h 200 -w 600 -u24 -l0 --y-grid 3:1 -t "Sunrise/Sunset (Belhaven, NC) - Day" -v "hr" \

DEF:SunriseA=/$DOCUMENTROOT/belhaven_weather-sunrise-sunset.rrd:Sunrise:AVERAGE \
DEF:SunsetA=/$DOCUMENTROOT/belhaven_weather-sunrise-sunset.rrd:Sunset:AVERAGE \
.
.
VRULE:$DAY#0000CC \
VRULE:SunriseA#FF8800 \
VRULE:SunsetA#0088FF \
  -c CANVAS#E5E5E5

I get a parse error for the sunrise/sunset VRULE times.

I'm using rrdtool-1.0.45. I know this is a bit old, but it's
working. If I need to upgrade to handle the VRULE problem,
is the latest rrdtool backward compatible?

Thanks Joe