[rrd-users] VRULE for sunset, sunrise

Jason Fesler jfesler at gigo.com
Mon Aug 27 17:05:24 CEST 2007

> I want it in the RRD, so I can plot it as a graph, for the
> year graph, but I'd like to show the day/night somehow for
> any particular day.

At whatever interval you store regular data, do a lookup and also store
into RRD, whether it is day or night (perhaps as 1 and 0, or 1 and NaN?).
Using that, you can have have an RRD graph that loads your data, + day or
night, and a CDEF can make a choice what to show based on that.

That'll make it so that you only have to worry about the changing time for
sunrise/sunset at the time of insert, and not for any of your later
graphs.