[rrd-users] Scaling rrd tables for best performance

Boer, Martin martin.boer at atosorigin.com
Fri Dec 7 07:58:46 CET 2007

All

I agree with Simon that having one rrd per check means you need to do a lot of housekeeping,
but on the other hand it gives you the possibility to add and delete checks per server very easily.
What we've done is the following;

We've made a monitoring tool where each operator can create his/hers own checks using a webinterface. Each configured check goes into a MySQL database and a script runs every 5 minutes to add data to the rrdfiles if they excist or create them if they don't.
When a check is deleted we keep the rrdfiles because they don't take up a lot of space and
since no new data will be put in the database for them the won't eat any performance.
In another table we have definitions on which parameters to use for each type of check/rrdfile.
It was quite some work to create all this, but when it works it looks very sweet. :)
We now have over 19000 configured checks on 1500 or so hosts.
Our endusers, the operators, can also select which timeperiod they prefer to graph, giving them a lot of freedom to zoom in on a day to see exactly when something went wrong.
Of course this means we have to keep quite detailed rrd's (15 minute steps over the last 35 days).

Regards,
Martin