[rrd-users] CF's ?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sun Dec 16 01:34:08 CET 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 05:20:31PM -0500, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	Is there somewhere that the CF's are detailed in how
> they present the number, with examples?

No, because they don't.

> 	The problem I'm having is I put in whole numbers to
> my RRD (X out of 10 pings), and when I pull them back using
> AVERAGE I get decimal numbers. Should I be using a CF at all?
> Should it be LAST?

You can't put numbers in an RRD.  See my site, normalization and
consolidation.

The best you can do is to make sure normalization is a noop.
Do do so, you use timestamps which are a whole multiple of your
step size.

All numbers in the RRD will be rates.  CF's determine how to get
those rates.  This is also described on the same page you just
visited.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt