[rrd-users] newbie's bugged graph

Guennoc Bernard bernardguennoc at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 6 23:41:15 CET 2007

I apologize for my newbiness, but can someone guess what I'm doing wrong?
Under XP (active Perl5.8 + rrdtool v 1.2.15) I wrote a shell script to plot nice curves from a tcpdump file.
  My boss was so impressed that now I'd like to put this script on apache server running php under Mandriva with a rpm installed rrdtool v1.2.11.
The port was no much of a problem apart from the permissions stuff but when the script was able to run, the png image produced was bugged ;o( (time axis is good, but Y axis is a constant=1)
Here is a small test.bat that show the pb:

rrdtool create test.rrd -b 1157657661 -s 1 DS:C1:GAUGE:2:0:U RRA:AVERAGE:0,5:1:3
rrdtool update test.rrd 1157657662:500
rrdtool update test.rrd 1157657663:1500
rrdtool update test.rrd 1157657664:1000
rrdtool graph test.png -s 1157657660 -e 1157657665 DEF:1=test.rrd:C1:AVERAGE "AREA:1#FF8000:1"

Run under windows the script produce a rigth graph,
but under linux it plots a flat line of value=1,
  If compared, the "rrdtool dump" produced on both look similar.
Thanks in advance for any help.