[rrd-users] How do i delete a period of time?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Feb 14 19:02:44 CET 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 06:27:13PM +0100, Rustedt, Florian wrote:

> i got some data, that was gahtered in bits/sec. Some months ago, we switched
> to bytes/sec on the delivering side, so there's a large gap between the old
> and the new data now in history.
>
> My wish is, just to delete all contained data in an rrd-database until a
> special date.
>
> Is that possible?

Some ways to do this:

Make an adjustment in your grapher script.  I believe I have something
similar in my tutorial, "pretending weird data isn't there" or something
alike.  Here you "delete" the data during graphing.  You still have the
information, you just don't use it anymore.

Dump the database, alter each value you don't want anymore in unknown,
restore the database.  This permanently changes the available information.

Instead of deleting data, you could also divide values by eight, thus
changing bits to bytes (assuming 8-bit bytes).  This is possible in both
scenario's.

Whichever way you choose: this job should be a piece of cake.  No more
than an hour work, including preparation and verification.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/