[rrd-users] Problem with seek error in RRA

wallaschwigalla at arcor.de wallaschwigalla at arcor.de
Mon Jul 2 12:42:34 CEST 2007

Hi,
I created a tool for protocol analysing which uses Wireshark as analyser, PERL and the RRD-Tool for generating the graphs. The OS is Solaris 10. RRD-Tool 1.2.19. I’ve created a Database for every protocol. HTTP is one of the biggest protocols caused by the big amount of possible status-codes. The HTTP-DB is splitted in 6 RRDs. The RRA I used is an AVERAGE which doesn’t really average the DATA. “RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:$dbzeit”. The variable $dbzeit is set to 31536000(one year). This creates a File with 2000MByte per RRD which results in 8GB for the hole HTTP-DB.

After nearly one month I got the problem that I can create graphs with an interval from 24hous but I can’t create a graph with a timescale from 5minutes, 15minutes or 1hour. The only message I get is ERROR : seek error in RRA.

In the first versions of my project I used RRAs with nearly 2 month stored in one file without an Error. Is there a problem with so big RRAs and the resolution from 1second????

I hope there is someone who can help me.

Thanks Kai