[rrd-users] compilation question

Ken Gibson ken.gibson at iapshop.com
Thu Jul 5 20:34:33 CEST 2007

Hello, all.

I've convinced management of the value of RRD by showing them the possibilities on some old hardware, and they actually bought a RHEL 5 machine to host it. But, from what I can gather via Google, there's an issue between the 32-bit and 64-bit zlib (which wasn't there before) where RRD's make says

/usr/local/lib/libz.a(crc32.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 agains 'a local symbol' can not be used when manking a shared object; recompile with -fPIC.

Has anyone seen this before, and if so, do I need to recompile zlib with the -fPIC or some kind of "--disable-static --enable-shared" option? This is all a little new to me...

Thanks in advance

Ken