[rrd-users] Adding new data source - malloc failure

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Jul 11 11:19:39 CEST 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 03:53:18PM -0500, Wes wrote:

> - How can I resolve this problem now?  Creating a new RRD is not an
> attractive option since I'd lose my historical data.  Putting the new data
> sources in a new database (i.e. Keeping both the old an new ones live) also
> would not be a good option.

output: "rrdtool fetch" delivers rates.
input: "GAUGE" means "this is already a rate".

So, you can create a new database, using GAUGE counter types,
and a suitable start time, step size and heartbeat. Then read
the rates you want to keep, combine them into one rrdtool update
command, and feed it to the new database.  Repeat until done.

Afterwards, use "rrdtool tune" to modify counter types into what
you need them to be.

Should work, unless you run into the same memory issues. In that
case, the database is just too big to handle.

A new version is coming.  Maybe you can wait until then and see
if that version solves your problem.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt