[rrd-users] consolidation or no consolidation?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Jul 16 14:39:40 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 02:09:20PM +0200, KOZMAN Balint wrote:

> Well, on the presentation side (regarding rrdgraph) I can ensure, that
> number of values to be presented will fit. To be more precise, I have a
> worker thread somewhere which inserts recently collected data to the rrd
> on a 10 sec period, having only 1 DS in the rrd. Now, when drawing a graph
> of the last 1 minute of this DS, all I have is exactly 6 entries in the
> rrd. Thus I'd like to see those values on the graph, and not something
> that just compares to them somehow. Obviously when graphing a month-long
> period, I would like to see consolidated data as that's the only thing I
> can expect.

Apart from what simon said:

Don't expect values.  Expect rates. Values are used by rrdtool to
compute rates.  It are these rates that are normalized, consolidated
and displayed.

Depending on your counter type, and your input, rrdtool will
"modify your values" (compute a rate from them).

If you think you are dealing with values instead of rates, at some
point in time you are going to be disappointed.

HTH
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/