[rrd-users] Questions from a new user...

Mark Seger Mark.Seger at hp.com
Thu Jul 19 18:54:05 CEST 2007

I'm new to rrd and so am trying some very basic things.  I've been able
to create an rrd database - real easy! and have even been able to write
data to it using commands like:

rrdtool update collectl.rrd 1184857063:0:100:100:0:7776:7776:0:1926:1926

all works as advertised.  Now I want to get fancy and try using RRDp to
handle the work because I found for a large number of updates the above
method is pretty slow and I'm sure (or at least hoping) a lot has to do
with the starting of the rrdtool image every time.

so I now have a perl script that looks like this, which is right out of
the man page:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use lib "/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.23/lib/perl/5.8.5";
use RRDp;

RRDp::start "/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.23/bin/rrdtool";
RRDp::cmd ("update", "collectl.rrd", "1184857053:0:98:98:0:0:0:0:0:0");
$answer=RRDp::read;
print "$$answer\n";

The only thing is I get an initialized variable when I try to print
$$answer as you can see from the following:

[root at poker rrd]# ./test.pl
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./test.pl
line 9.

If I go into the RRDp.pm and uncomment the print statement at line 162,
I see it set to a value of OK  which would cause the 'else' clause right
below it to execute which sees there is no error and so returns
'$buffer'.  Unfortunately $buffer is not defined and so I'm getting the
uninit var back in my script.  Or am I missing something?

Here's what it looks like with that print statement uncommented as well
as a print statement I inserted to print the contents of $buffer:

[root at poker rrd]# ./test.pl
OK u:0.00 s:0.00 r:0.08
/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.23/lib/perl/5.8.5/RRDp.pm line 170.
BUFFER:
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./test.pl
line 9.

Closer inspection of the 'read' code suggests that if times are returned
in the OK string from the call to rrdtool, their values are returned in
the sys, user and real variables and that $buffer, which is 'undef' at
this point is returned as the value of the function which is exactly
what I'm seeing.  It's only when the return from rrdtool doesn't return
ERROR and it also doesn't return OK with properly formatted time strings
that $buffer is actually set  to a real value.  So if that's the case,
how is one to tell if the function succeeded or failed  when you get a
valid OK with times since it returns 'undef' in both cases?

Next I tried causing an error by trying to rewrite the same data and
again looking at the code can see when RRDp::read generates an error it
croaks, but I also found I could set RRDp::error_mode to 'catch' and it
will simply return the error in the RRDp::error variable.  Only problem
is it never returns to me!  I put a print statement in the 'read'
function before the croak test and another in my calling program right
after the call to 'read' and what I see is:

[root at poker rrd]# ./test.pl
Error!  Mode: catch   <<<< my print did this and verified it indeed saw
my value of 'croak'

and it hangs.  Has anyone seen this behavior before?  I'm running
RHEL4/Update4 on an AMD box.

-mark