[rrd-users] trying to understand the relationship between source data, what's in rrd and what gets plotted

Mark Seger Mark.Seger at hp.com
Fri Jul 20 19:31:06 CEST 2007

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 12:31:25PM -0400, Mark Seger wrote:
>
>> more experiments and I'm getting closer...  I think the problem is the
>> AVERAGE in my DEF statements of the graphing command.  The only problem
>> is I couldn't find any clear description or examples of how this works.
>> I did try using LAST (even though I have no idea what it does) and my
>> plots got better, but I'm still missing data points and I want to see
>> them all.  Again, I have a step size of 1 second so I'd think everything
>> should just be there...
>>

> Last time I looked, which is several moons ago, the graphing part
> would average different samples which needed to be "consolidated"
> due to the fact that one was trying to display more rows than there
> were pixel columns available.

Ahh yes, I think I see now.  However, and I simply point this out as an
observation, it's never good to throw away or combine data points as you
might lose something really important.  I don't know how gnuplot does it
but I've never see it lose anything.  Perhaps when it sees multiple data
points it just picks the maximum value.  hey - I just tried that and it
worked!!!

This may be obvious to everyone else but it sure wasn't to me.  I think
the documentation could use some beefing up in this place as well as
some examples.  At the very least I'd put in an example that shows a
series that contains data with a lot of values <100 and a single point
of 1000.  Then explain why you never see the spike! I'll bet a lot of
people would be shocked.  I also wonder how many system managers are
missing valuable data because it's simply getting dropped out off.

-mark