[rrd-users] trying to understand the relationship between source data, what's in rrd and what gets plotted

Mark Seger Mark.Seger at hp.com
Fri Jul 20 22:20:28 CEST 2007

I'd say my problems arose from the fact that I could find any
description on what average, min, max and last do!  If they're already
somewhere may all that's needed is a link, but I didn't see anything.
That said, under create manpage under RRA I'd expand the description of
the consolidate function and also include sections for each of these 4
options in the same way there are sections for gauge, counter, derive,
absolute adn compute under DS.  For example (and only just a suggestion
building on what's already there):

"The data is also processed with the consolidation function (/CF/) of
the archive. When there is more than one data element [better words?] to
be stored in the same cell [I'm not familiar enough to know what rrd
calls these] those data elements must be consolidated into1and you must
select how that consolidation is to be done by selecting one of the follow:

AVERAGE - all the data elements are averaged.
MIN - the smallest data element is chosen
LAST - the last data element is used
MAX - the data element with the maximum value is used

One must also realize this process is not perfect.  It you have a lot of
samples being consolidated into a single one and there is spike or a
very low value, they will probably never be seen if you're using
average.  On the other hand if you have a lot of small values and a
single spike being consolidated, you could get misleading results if you
chose max.

This effect can be even more noticeable when plotting because the
default plot width of 400 so all data must fit into one of 400 points.
If you have more than 400 data elements to plot, you are guaranteed some
consolidation will occur in this case.  This effect can be reduced by
making wider plots but you can't escape it."

how's that?
-mark