[rrd-users] trying to understand the relationship between source data, what's in rrd and what gets plotted

Mark Seger Mark.Seger at hp.com
Sun Jul 22 13:23:44 CEST 2007

I think this makes a lot of sense and I'm certainly willing to give it a
shot and see what the results look like as you can never be completely
sure until you try it.  So the next obvious question becomes how much
work is it to do something like this in and more important how much
overhead will this add?  From what I've already seen with preliminary
testing is that rrdgraph is already very fast and so I'm hoping it
should be so too.

Does this involve storing both min and max values?  I just did a quick
test and found to store about 80 10 sec samples requires about 20MB for
a day's worth of data on 1 system and I normally retain a week since as
we all know sometimes system problems go undetected for several days and
you need to retain that level of detail.

In any event, what's the next step if I want to try this out?  As I said
in my original post I'm new to rrdtool (as if you couldn't tell from my
questions 8-)) and so am not entirely sure how best to approach this.  I
also do want to thank you for being so patient with me...

-mark