[rrd-users] Sar data

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at atc-onlane.com
Mon Jul 30 19:28:42 CEST 2007

> From: rrd-users-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch [mailto:rrd-users-
> bounces at lists.oetiker.ch] On Behalf Of Mark Seger
> Wes wrote:
> > On 7/30/07 10:37 AM, "Mark Seger" <Mark.Seger at hp.com> wrote:
> >

> >> I've been thinking about adding rrd style output to collectl but am
> >> waiting for someone to raise their hand and say they'd like to work
> with
> >> me.  As for perl being too heavyweight, collectl uses less than
0.1% of
> >> the cpu reporting about 100 different variables.  If you want less
> >> frequent samples as most rrd users do, you can probably get it down
> 0.01%
> >>

> > I figured programs collecting real-time sar data in RRD would be all
> over
> > the place.  I was very surprised to find such a thing so scarce.
> >
> > I am looking at colleting 5-10 second samples.  I may have to resign
> myself
> > to using perl for the sar data.  I have a number of other
statistics,
> some
> > of which have to be gathered by scanning very large log files in
real
> time.
> > By using C, I had hoped to save as many cycles as possible, and be
able
> > use a common set of functions to transmit the data to the central
> collection
> > system.  I guess I can always roll my own.  We have times when every
> cycle
> > we can save is crucial (can't just up and replace the systems with
> > faster...)
> >
> 5-10 second samples is what collectl is all about and it can collect a
> lot more data than sar so perhaps at least some of what you're looking
> for it may already generate.  it's not unusual to have collectl
running
> on systems sustaining >90% cpu loads
> -mark
> > Wes

I am using collectd on close to 100 nodes, specific per cpu stats, load,
memory, swap, processes, interface, disk space used and disk IO (ops and
bytes). It does other things too, but I am not interested in them, so I
only load those plug ins. Choose collectd for the reason of 10 second
interval samples.

I have written a grapher for our use but as collectd 4.x splitted the
structure how RRDs are saved, it won't work for it. Currently planning
on writing a new grapher soon, one which can hopefully also be released
as opensource.