[rrd-users] Sar data

Wes wespvp at msg.bt.com
Mon Jul 30 18:28:15 CEST 2007

On 7/30/07 10:37 AM, "Mark Seger" <Mark.Seger at hp.com> wrote:

> I've been thinking about adding rrd style output to collectl but am
> waiting for someone to raise their hand and say they'd like to work with
> me.  As for perl being too heavyweight, collectl uses less than 0.1% of
> the cpu reporting about 100 different variables.  If you want less
> frequent samples as most rrd users do, you can probably get it down to 0.01%

I figured programs collecting real-time sar data in RRD would be all over
the place.  I was very surprised to find such a thing so scarce.

I am looking at colleting 5-10 second samples.  I may have to resign myself
to using perl for the sar data.  I have a number of other statistics, some
of which have to be gathered by scanning very large log files in real time.
By using C, I had hoped to save as many cycles as possible, and be able to
use a common set of functions to transmit the data to the central collection
system.  I guess I can always roll my own.  We have times when every cycle
we can save is crucial (can't just up and replace the systems with
faster...).

Wes