[rrd-users] SUM, in gprint, when DS type is GAUGE

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jun 15 21:57:52 CEST 2007

Danny KjÊrgaard wrote:

>as the subject tells, i would like to have a sum after each lengend. I need
>to messaure mail flow per 5min, over 24 hours, and would like to have the
>sum of of mails in the last 24 hours too. When i use a vdef and total i
>tells something way too high, and a floating number too. How might i do
>this?

DS type doesn't matter - it only controls how the
data is entered into the RRD. If you multiply
rate by time you get total, end of story.

Calculate the average over 24 hours, multiply by
86400, and you get the total. It won't normally
be an integer because of all the normalisation
that goes on - but if you are VERY careful with
your data inserts so as to avoid normalisation
then you will get something very close and can
round it.