[rrd-users] Huge values

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Jun 20 17:25:49 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 05:18:12PM +0300, Andrikopoulos Dimitrios wrote:
> No, there is no counter wrap. I used the "snmpwalk" to poll manually the
> SNMP counter in question
> and it found no wrap.

Most likely it is a counter reset, which is perceived by RRDtool as a
counter wrap.  This can happen when you reset a device.

Setting a maximum allowable rate should help.

Using DERIVE instead of COUNTER, and setting the minimum allowable value
to zero, should also help but will cause a missed update (thus UNKNOWN)
in case of a true counter wrap.

If you can, try updating with "U" (unknown) as soon as you reset a
device, followed by an update of zero.  The topic is discussed frequently
so it should be relatively easy to find this in the email archives.  In
short: you are telling RRDtool that you don't know the counter value at
reset time, and you do know that it starts from zero again.