[rrd-users] rrdtool HA

Dylan Vanderhoof DylanV at semaphore.com
Wed May 30 22:09:23 CEST 2007

I've been trying to figure out a way to do this usefully and haven't had
much success due to the nature of RRDs.

I have an environment where I need to have some sort of high
availability for my RRD collector boxes.  While its possible to use a
SAN, that still leaves me with a single point of failure on the SAN box,
which is less than ideal.  Unfortunatly, it doesn't appear I can
replicate RRDs without coping the entire file from one machine to
another at certain intervals, which is a massive IO hit.

I've heard rumblings of a SQL backend, but from what I've seen so far
that only seems to be for fetching data from SQL, not updating.

Does anybody have any suggestions for how one might approach
active/standby redundancy with a large amount of RRDs?  We only have
about 15k RRDs currently, but I expect to be seeing over 100k in the
next 6-8 months and I'd like to see if I can solve this problem before I
have that kind of volume.

Thanks,
Dylan