[rrd-users] help for a better perspective

Andreas Maus a.maus at science-computing.de
Tue Nov 13 12:43:13 CET 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 12:29:29PM +0100, Pili Mu?oz Gargallo wrote:
> hello, my name is Pili
Hi.

> I'm a student and i'm trying to understand how cacti works. I  know that it
> is the evolution of RDDtool and you need to have it installed  to made it
> works. I have been reading tutorials, to try  understanding but there's a
> thing i don't manage to find:
> Where i could find information about how configure the agents? i mean, i
> think i understand that  the NMS needs  a suite like cacti,  in the agent
> must be running Net-SNMP or similar, but i don't know how both interact...
> Where i would say the ip of the device i want to monitor? what happens it
> the net is already done and there's a switch that supports SNMP? how i could
> install Net- SNMP in an agent?
[... snipp ...]
No offense but you should ask the cacti-users mailinglist at
cacti-user at lists.sourceforge.net. You can subscribe to the list here:

> May be these are no the kind of questions you are used to read, but i'm a
> student and i can't install things in the lab (i can't enter as root). The
Ahhh....You may install the client part of snmp without root privileges.
Personally I install such things in a path in my $HOME. You can do this
using several ways. All depending on the software. Some software allows you
to specify the installation prefix (e.g. ./configure --prefix) other software
-like Net::SNMP- requires manual editing of some files (e.g. Makefile).

BTW ... You can also install the snmp server in a different place but
this wont make any sense because you need root privileges to run snmpd
(es. to bind to the privileged port 161).

HTH,

Andreas.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Maus             science+computing ag
System Administration               Hagellocher Weg 73