[rrd-users] delayed updates

Jason Fesler jfesler at gigo.com
Tue Nov 13 19:23:13 CET 2007

> Well, since we're a commercial service, we don't have as much
> flexibility in our data retention policy.  I'll discuss with the team
> here - I certainly don't want to muck with RRDtool's innards.

If you're too far behind, you might consider a ramdisk.  Copy .rrd to
ramdisk, then do all the updates, then copy .rrd back to real disk.  Only
do this if you're > N updates behind, since you'll spend time and I/O on
the copy.

If you're required to have ALL the data, then you are limited on options
(get dirty in C, or add more capacity to make catch-up easier).

Another option, which.. involves a bit of  complexity.. is if you're too
far behind, then make a new .rrd file entirely for temporary use.  Have
your graphs show both .rrd's .  Once you're caught up on backfilling your
original rrd, nuke the temp rrd file.   Doable but a few too many moving
parts for my taste..